Where to eat… Lunch
1. De Seekat: From crayfish skewers to samosa snack plates, De Seekat is home to an incredible sushi chef and offers a wide-ranging menu satisfying a range of tastebuds. These flavours are partnered with cool interiors and an equally impressive waterfront location, perfect for a pre or post-lunch wander around the little shops and galleries.
2. Gaatjie: On the shoreline of Paternoster Bay, Gaatije has a delicious seafood-focused menu (the masala prawns are incredible). Its enviable spot right next to the beach is best enjoyed by booking a table outside on the covered terrace.
3. Leeto: Strandloper’s own restaurant, whose Head Chef Garth Almazan is renowned for creating inspired cuisine with a local and organic touch, served with breathtaking views of the ocean. Great for lunch or dinner, and if you’re a Strandloper guest you’ll be reserved a table by default, just in case. As a guest, you’ll also have breakfast there or can ask for it on the terrace of your room.
4. Wolfgat: This cave-like spot is one of the World’s Top 50, and has a (worthy) price tag to match. It’s one for the serious foodies and is much an experience as it is a lunchtime refuel, with foaming foods and other imaginative culinary creations. It’s very hard to get a reservation here, but worth it if you can.
5. Voorstrandt Restaurant: The most low-key of our top picks and a great go-to for honest, local, family-run fare particularly for families. It’s renowned for its child-friendly nature, so expect plenty of kids, not one for a luxe honeymoon meal but great for a lunch stop by the beach.
6. Die Strandloper: Located 30 minutes from Paternoster in Langebaan, this internationally-known restaurant serves “a feast of seafood dishes, prepared in true West Coast style, by real West Coast people.” Great energy, great food, great beachfront location.