At nemo, we are passionate about being a company that acts responsibly and are acutely aware of the industries’ role in the climate battle, as well as its effect on marginalised communities all over the world. From the melting permafrost to the Australian bushfires, climate change is happening all around us and if we don’t act now, the places we love won’t be there for future generations to enjoy
From the very inception of nemo, Tom and James wanted the company to act ethically, to travel responsibly and to support issues close to their hearts. That’s why, from our very first booking, a percentage of profits has gone to our inspiring charity partner, Hello World, and every traveller has been rewarded with the planting of a tree in the Scottish Highlands. But we know this is only the beginning, and there is so much more to achieve both internally as a business and externally with our partners all around the world.
That’s why, along with other friends in the travel industry, we’ve signed up to Tourism Declares, an initiative that supports tourism businesses, organisations and individuals in declaring a climate emergency and taking purposeful action to reduce their carbon emissions as per the advice from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030.
Like all signatories, we have therefore committed to the following five actions:
1. Develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ within the next 12 months, which sets out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
2. Share an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’, and update on progress each year.
3. Accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We’ll ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
4. Encourage our suppliers and partners to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community
5. Advocate for change. We recognise the need for system change across the industry to accelerate a just transition towards carbon-free tourism.
Please consider also declaring at www.tourismdeclares.com, and follow on @tourismdeclares on Twitter, Facebook or Linkedin
nemo’s Top (European) Honeymoon Destinations
With long haul travel on pause, we have explored the best honeymoon spots across Europe, so that you don’t have to put the romance on pause.
Nemo’s Best of Athens, Hydra & the Deep Mani
Where is sunny in October? Our top destinations for October sun
Check out our guide for the best destinations for October sun. Crowd-free experiences and guaranteed sunshine, October is the month for authentic travel.