Best Of Northern Ethiopia
HIGHLIGHTSExceptional landscapes throughoutHiking in the Simien MountainsMonolithic churches of Lalibela
All the things you’re dying to ask but haven’t
We think you can split the experience into three sections - stunning landscapes, deeply enriching history and fascinating local culture. The bonus of some unique wildlife and an up-and-coming city in Addis Ababa make this a wonderful destination. Concerned about travelling to Ethiopia? Let our Nemo Travel Nerds give you the facts. Chat to us today!
"Travelling to a country like Ethiopia, where tourism is still a growing industry, I was hesitant about going through the whole process of booking the trip myself. Nemo did all the hard work for me, the booking was seamless and the trip was one I will never forget, for all the right reasons!"
Humphrey Kelly, Nemo Traveller
The capital city has a rich history and an emerging cosmopolitan buzzHoly Trinity Cathedral, Addis Ababa
Experience some of the most jaw-dropping landscapes on the planetGheralta
The ancient capital still draws huge crowds for its deep religious historyChurch of our Lady Mary of Zion, Axum
Top tip: be open-minded. Whether it is the cuisine, chatting with locals or some of the accommodation standards, expect surprises and accept them, it will be well worth it.
The monolithic churches are a site to cherish, truly exceptionalLalibela
One of the great hiking destinations in the Nemo rosterSimien Mountains
A hidden gem a short distance from Lake TanaBlue Nile Falls
Weather watch: November-April is the best time to visit Ethiopia, avoiding the rains and with more pleasant temperatures.
A few more tips...
- Arrange a guide for the trip. You’ll have access to a top professional at all times and time to explore on your own when you want it.
- Addis has a fascinating history and growing food and drink scene (it’s more than just a stopover).
- On your first or last evening, enjoy a cultural evening with a cooking class and traditional dance.
- Climb to the exceptional rock churches.
- Soak in these views, they’re some of Ethiopia’s best.
- The accommodation is less luxurious than Nemo’s usual standard (but it’s worth it!).
- Visit the ancient religious sites and immerse yourself in the fascinating local culture.
- Time your stay with a religious festival - Hidarzion (end of November) or Timkat (end of January).
- Gaze in awe at the monolithic churches and marvel at what humans can do.
- Watch it come to life with religious ceremonies and displays on a Sunday.
- Pack a pair of binoculars and walking boots and enjoy the trails.
- Look for the rare Ghelada baboons and Simien wolves.
- Allow your guide to tailor your experience to your fitness level.
- Enjoy this spectacular ancient city, it has UNESCO World Heritage status.
- Feel the history in the 17th-century walled city of Fasil Ghebbi (the former royal enclosure).
- Spend a half or full day on the lake, a great contrast to the rest of the trip.
- Don’t miss Blue Nile Falls, especially when the water is high from September to December.
Nemo believes in setting the bar high with ethical travel and sustainable practices. This starts in our office in London with our paperless policy and commitment to send 1% of our profits to Hello World, our chosen charity. Our commitment to ethical travel filters down into our trips, too. We use local hotels and partners so that your travel supports local businesses. A huge part of our dream at Nemo is to help protect our planet and the communities within it. Every trip we deliver brings us closer to our goal - to make a difference.
The Nemo Guarantee
We are a fully licensed tour operator (ATOL no.11603) and any payments you make are 100% financially protected. We’ve got you covered from the moment you book your trip to when you arrive home again. So, leave it to us! We’ll take responsibility for seamless logistics and are on hand in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong (see t & c’s). How about that for peace of mind!
Our goal is to work with your personal travel dreams and provide a fun, stress-free experience. Our travel nerds combine industry-leading technology with individual service and no request is too big or too small. We know that the web is full of price-comparison websites but our fully customised Nemo trip will tick all your boxes - expert advice, individual service and yes, even great value.
So, let’s do this! Let’s plan your dream itinerary and welcome to the Nemo club!
Seen enough? Now it's time to start planning your Nemo adventureBUILD YOUR TRIP
When do you want to travel?
For accurate prices, please tell us when you want to go, then start designing your dream itinerary